Wednesday, December 3, 2008

It begins

While there was snow on the ground when I came back from NC, I didn't really see it fall in earnest until this morning, when I drove to my doctor's appointment. It was real enough this time - I fishtailed at least four times there and back, though not severely, and saw two accidents, one involving a Pepsi semi and a pickup truck. Ouch. But I managed to get there and back unscathed, and I even enjoyed it. After all, it's pretty, it wasn't too cold, and it makes me feel Christmasy. I bought my students candy canes in Walgreens afterwards, and though to myself as I walked to my office that there really is something about winter that feels good for the soul.

Of course, I couldn't feel my toes by the time I got to the elevators, so my good cheer was a bit dampened. But still. I don't mind snow at all, and will be happy to sip chai in my kitchen tonight while looking out the window at it. Provided there's any left. But since it's supposed to hit 12 tonight, I'm sure there will be.

Schoolwork goes on. I'm so laughably behind at this point I've almost given up being stressed. Why freak out when I simply know I'm not going to finish in time? I suppose it could happen, and I'm going to try my darndest, but...whatever. I've never taken an incomplete in my life, this has been one of the most annoying semesters of all time, and I just can't see working myself into a frenzy about it. It would only end badly - I'd have somewhere between one and three nervous breakdowns, I'd run my phone bill way up looking to my mother for advice, Andy would grow weary of my constant panicking and extreme self-doubt, and I probably *still* wouldn't finish. This way, I'll just be normal-freaked, I'll work as hard as I can, and if it doesn't happen...it doesn't happen.

Or so I tell myself. Check back in 5 days or so and we may be in a different frame of mind.

I still have like 75% of my Christmas shopping to do. Not sure when *that's* going to happen. Online shopping, here I come! I hit the cousins while at home - little girls are so damn easy - and I am pretty sure about my parents and Andy, though I've yet to buy anything, but beyond that...I got little. I'm sure it'll come together. I'm already so excited to be home again for Christmas. My room, my family, trees, gifts, Pee-Wee's Christmas special, a genuine reason to bake ceaselessly...should be good times. Plus, Andy and my sister appear to have become lifelong BFFs, so who am I to keep the team apart?

Man. Friggin' grad school. Getting in the way of unabashed Christmas cheer.

No comments: