Friday, March 26, 2010

Upgrades

As of today, those who seek to "reach my telephone," as they say, will be reaching me on a device that's at least making a nod to not being 100 years behind the times.

Behold: the Samsung INTENSITY!

I wasn't aware they'd take to naming phones in the same manner they name cars; my last model was VX5300 or some such anonymous thing. It's unclear what is so intense about this particular model - perhaps its red color? Its clever look-at-me-I-was-just-a-USB-cord-now-I'm-a-charger accessory? Its slide-out keyboard? I'm pretty sure all these things have been standard for awhile now. But as my own middle name is similarly incongruous with my actual personal traits, I can't really hold it against it.

Other things that have apparently happened without my noticing: friendly service agreements. I have to admit, I rarely read the damn things, and when I do it's a brief scan. But I'm highly paranoid lately (like, really - I haven't even sent back my census form because I read some nut job online saying they collect our DNA off the envelope for a huge database and it's so far too much effort to close it another way - not that I *believe* that exactly, but I've been reading a little too much Harper's and...anyhow), so I read much of the Verizon one today. And they've become oddly jovial. Very "we're here to help!" and "we'll do all that's reasonable, because you're a human being like us!" Also, more and more of the info (say, what data they collect about my calls and how its used) isn't in the policy itself but only linked to elsewhere. And of course, my concern about my rights wasn't powerful enough to visit a separate page.

Anyhow. I should be writing my paper for Morris (to say nothing of the one on "Goblin Market" that I'm frankly looking forward to starting in order to finish it and drink the Veuve I've promised myself for doing so) but it's Spring Break and the house is a mess and I have a new phone and I like cleaning, so...yeah. Not so much writing. Soon I will shower and dress for GROAN, get nicely drunk with my peers/friends/collegues/etc, and christen the new phone with some drunk dials to college friends. Just because it's joining me at a point in life where I call no one except Glass Nickle and my immediate family doesn't mean it shouldn't ever get to have any fun.

I'm excited for this break. Work to do, yes, but getting that weight off my shoulders will do more for my stress levels and general well-being than any trip ever could.

I'm also perversely excited to do a Spring Cleaning. What has happened to me? I actually enjoy cleaning when I feel like I have the time, that I'm not doing it in order to put off more odious school-related work. The house has been creepy towards dirty for awhile now...neatness has been okay, but I need to pull out the vacuum and get in some corners and such. And do laundry. And figure out how to cheaply and quickly make the bedroom not clash horribly - we bought an awesome new bedding set recently, but since it is black/white/fuchsia and the rest of the room is all warm green tones, something needs to be done. And my parents are coming the weekend after break, so I want it to look nice when they see it for the first time.

Alright. On to other things. Yay!

No comments: