Sunday, September 11, 2011

omg wtf xkcd

Hovertext: well, sex is like a velociraptor: despite your movie-fueled lifelong neurotic obsession, unlikely to be found in your house.
----------

Now that it's getting cold out I'm remembering how annoyingly cold my fingers get when I type for extended periods in a house below 68 degrees. Though the semi-numbness from the chill does distract from the tingly-numbness from my compressed nerves. Look, I know I keep whining about this, but it's really fucking annoying. You know how if you *really* hit your funny bone - not a slight ding but the full-on slam into something that feels so incredibly not-good that you'd almost rather be in actual pain than have that feeling - the tingling in your last two fingers and the twinge in your elbow linger for a good while afterward? It's like that except in both arms any time I type for more than half an hour at a time. So. Lame. I'm getting an MRI next week (for reasons that aren't clear to me, but whatever), but I know that it'll boil down to "do these exercises and take Advil," only one of which I'll actually do on any regular basis, eventually leading to God knows what other kinds of issues. So yay.

In other news - I never thought I'd say this, but I really did enjoy reading my students' first papers. Why is that so surprising, you ask? Because they were personal narratives. With other components as well, but still - largely personal stories. And they were interesting (for the most part anyhow - this isn't MagicLand where everything is perfect and I have six ponies to pull my bejeweled carriage and a cushy tenure-track job)! I have some sharp-ass kids this semester.

2 comments:

Bix said...

I find I have the opposite problem -- my laptop is now so old that it gets really hot all the time and actually makes my hands sweat. When I'm in a cold room I put it on my lap and it warms me right up. It's probably giving me thigh cancer or making me infertile though.

As far as personal narratives, remember freshman year when Allison and Becky were in that English 101 class together and Allison wrote her personal narrative all about how Becky was into drugs and sex? I hope you got some like that.

mimo-chan said...

dude. my fingers do the same shit. it's the worst. and it takes FOREVER to regain feeling.