Sunday, March 2, 2008

You Seemed To Be Where I Belong

So I'm finally in DC.

It's been a long time coming, and I'm sure everyone who's been listening to me count down the days is relieved. I started my escape with a painfully delayed bus ride to Chicago; there was a horrible accident ahead of us and we stayed at a standstill on the highway for almost two hours. But I finally made it, and was greeted at Maeve's door by a big smile, a well-decorated apartment and a gorgeous-looking salad of pears, arugula, beets and goat cheese. And pecans. Mmmm. We also had pork chops, potatoes, good wine and a great visit. I need to escape to Chicago to see her more often...it was so nice, even if just for those few hours.

Getting to DC was laborious and fraught with delays, but I made it. I picked up the keys to Con's place just before he left work. I was tired and cranky and generally in a bad mood by that point, but the minute I saw him in his office it was like a 180. I had to wait another 3 hours for him to finish class, but we had a great time that night. A bunch of his friends from school went to an Irish bar, and it was nice to meet them. We spent Saturday lying around lazily, then went out to a fantastic dinner at Montmartre, a cozy and very authentic French restaurant near Eastern Market. We shared a beet and mozzarella salad, then both had the hangar steak with shallots and snow peas, which was incredible. For dessert we shared a berry tart, and the whole meal was accompanied by some truly great French bread. I had suppressed my longing for good bread since coming back,  but now I miss Mie Caline, Parneix and La Baguette Magique all over again. 

Today we did some work, cleaned the house and are about to go do some shopping, eat at Matchbox and see In Bruges. I'm so happy. 

Life is good.

No comments: