Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Suite Francaise

Note to self - if you're feeling depressed and lonely, reading a book about the horrors of Occupation set in the French countryside is probably not the best choice. No matter how great a book it may be.

But the book is great, and I am loved despite defections, and my papers advance well, and Maeve and her metropolis beckon, and the Cote du Rhone makes wine that reminds me of nights in Haute-Vienne, and these are all good things. Maybe time will mend all ills, maybe Beauty will come around, maybe Tom and Jamie will make it here this summer, maybe fuel charges will drop, maybe I'll understand Deleuze. 

And I'm going home in exactly a week. Possibilities are endless.

7 comments:

Billie J. Pilgrim said...

i'm sorry, i think i have wax in my ears or something... you have time for outside reading?

-B- said...

Ha...only briefly. Caroline's paper marches on...and on. I can't tell if it sounds more comforting to tell myself it will be 50% longer than demanded, or ten pages. Either way...ugh.

Billie J. Pilgrim said...

As I have 0 pages currently, I'm going to pretend I didn't just read that.

-B- said...

See, any chance of me feeling like I'm ahead is totally nullified by having read your Schaub conference paper and knowing that even work you're not happy with is totally and completely amazing and polished. So I know that what you will write is going to be amazing, although I'm sure you feel like it will never get finished.

But just think...you'll be done in less that 48 hours, and I know your papers will be really great, and you'll have an MA! So even if you can' be excited now, you should try to keep in mind that it's coming. And if your conference paper is any indication at all, it's coming with awesomeness.

joface said...

I hate this paper! Everyone around us is rejoicing, and yet, here we are...

and I'm still not really sure what liberalism is.

Billie J. Pilgrim said...

Jo, me neither. I'm thinking I'm not going to talk about it at all, and then I'll just pepper my last paragraph with it (liberally--ha!). I'll make in a noun, a verb, whatever.

Liberalism conclusion, women's liberal bodies are liberally destroyed by the novel's liberal political liberalism. Liberalism.

-B- said...

I love the liberally/liberalism pun. I used it early when noting to myself that I should "use Mill liberally" in one section. Hilarious.