Monday, September 21, 2009

I guess it's true about cats and feet

They do land on them. Probably not literally always, but Polo, who had been reclining on the desk next to me, just stretched a little too much and fell off, landing on his feet. Also on the topic of cats and feet - Polo, and now slowly Penny, appear to be developing a weird obsession with Andy's shoes. Or possibly just any shoes. We noticed it yesterday for the first time, when Polo spent most of the evening lying on the living room carpet snuggled between Andy's sneakers. Neither of us remember placing the sneakers in that position, perfectly parallel to each other. Though I know he moved during the night because I saw him on top of the bookshelf when I had a late-night snack at 3am, he was right back with the shoes when we got up this morning. So before we left for school, I laid out two of Andy's other shoes in the same position, and sure enough - when I got home Polo was lying right between them. I caught Penny doing it a few minutes ago. Weird. I think they're catching on to the fact that if they balance each incredibly annoying thing they do (puking on the floor, spilling entire pint glasses of water from great heights, etc) with adorable or quirky ones (camping out between shoes, falling asleep on the cookbook, hiding behind Deleuze, etc) I will continue to love them.

In good mood tonight, though not sure why. My day was pretty average. Discussion of Ezra Pound's Cantos went about as expected...it wasn't painfully quiet or anything, but I felt like I failed to help them with those difficult poems in any way. I think it's not all my fault - I had to fit in the second half of first-day stuff that I skipped last time so we could discuss Wharton, and that took up half the class. 30 minutes is not enough to discuss their response papers and also introduce close reading and apply it usefully to the poems. But some of them have already read The Wasteland and enjoyed it more, so I'm optimistic for next week.

Tonight, I plan to work some on my prelims list in anticipation of meeting with Mario on Wednesday, read Herland for Russ, and maybe work some more on Romola. I've got a long but simple day tomorrow - lecture, TA training, writing center. I've got a good feeling about this week. I'm still trying to figure out how to work longer term projects into my weekly routine; I have the time right now to begin working on something for the end of the semester, but it's really hard to get going on it. We'll see.

Zumba on Sunday was fun. Kate couldn't make it, but Lindsey came, and it was much easier this time since I had already done it once. Aside from the fact that my knee gets really pissed towards the end, it's a great workout. I'm planning to go again on Wednesday. It foricbly reminds me that as much as I might pretend, 40 minutes on the elliptical is not even close to a serious workout.

No comments: