Monday, July 12, 2010

Oh So Educational

So I was killing time relaxing this afternoon by reading through the archives of my new favorite blog, 2birds1blog, and I found this entry about a sex manual written in 1969. The whole post is worth a read, but my favorite nugget is this one, from a section about male homosexuality:


Isn't homosexuality kind of dangerous?
Homosexuals thrive on danger.

"S and M"? What does that mean?
Technically, sadist and masochist. Literally, trouble. Those who combine homosexuality with sadistic and masochistic aberrations are among the cruelest people who walk this earth. In ancient times they found employment as professional torturers and executioners. More recently they filled the ranks of Hilter's Gestapo and SS.


Now, I'm aware this is depressing and more than a little sick, but...admit it, it's also kind of hilarious. Especially because I have a gay friend who's slightly into BDSM and the mental image of him in an executioner's hood, medieval-style,  makes me laugh to the point of tears.

But the best thing about this is that I too own a laughably outdated sex manual by David Reuben, MD. It's slightly more up-to-date, having been published in 1974, but it is still so. Incredibly. Funny. It answers questions such as "what kind of surprises come with nipple-pinching?" and "but *why* do adults masturbate?" This thing is for sure making an appearance at the next Happy Hour I host. Hours of fun.

But the real cherry on top here is how I got ahold of the book: I stole it from the Jail Reading Group donations bin. I'm not exactly proud of this fact, but come on - how could you not??? The cover alone informs me that it's "the most important contribution to my sexual happiness," penned by the author of "Any Woman Can!" If that's not good salesmanship I don't know what is.

No comments: