Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Note to Self: Do it Right the First Time

So when I got my new computer I was (understandably, I think) too eager to start poking around on it and experiencing its amazing new speed and clarity and much louder speakers and such to transfer my files properly; rather than use Migration Manager or whatever the hell it's called, I simply used a portable drive to ferry over my music, photos and documents wholesale. This worked fine in the short term, but cut out all the associated information with my photos and music - playlists, play counts, events, etc. And as I am a huge packrat when it comes to personal records of all kinds, this has been annoying me. I've actually managed to put off plugging my iPod into the new machine so as not to lose the old playlists and settings. And for some reason, I decided that this afternoon was a good time to import all those settings and such.

It's a huge pain. Half the time the directions from Apple are ambiguous about whether a particular transfer technique will preserve the info I want (play count is a particular bitch in that regard), and the other half my old computer just isn't up for the task. Below, a selection of my thoughts on the process:

- How cute and somewhat twee that Apple has updated the Energy Saver light bulb icon to be a compact fluorescent.

- This is so easy. Well, not for what I want to do now - but it would have been if I'd just looked up how to do it in the first place. Goddamnit.

- Wait, is this going to make duplicates of all the files I already imported? All 67 gigs of them? Shit. [rushes off to move iPhoto and iTunes libraries to alternate locations]

- ...4 and a half hours?? Fuck that noise. I'll run it while I'm at Benoit's thing tonight.
****

No comments: