Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Release the Stars

So I'm back.

What a trip. I had an absolute blast. As I was telling Andy, it's so rare to have a vacation where nothing goes wrong, and yet that's more or less what this one was like. No delays, no problems, nothing - aside from some clouds on beach day, I suppose. But still...wonderful. It was so nice to see Kate, to realize that everything is just like it was at AU, to hang out at her place chatting about this and that in our lives. I'm so glad to know she's got a great life out there, with good friends and a sweet apartment, in a city she genuinely loves. Having my friends happy is such a nice feeling.

I did so much while I was there. Some low-key nights wandering around West Hollywood, lots of good shopping, the beach, hiking, Jeff's show, a couple sweet bars, a rooftop party on a gorgeous patio, a hot club, meeting tons of new people...all these new things, and new things are what I like best. Well, like I said before...new things and old friends. But new friends too.

(It still cracks me up a little to see Kate and Jeff together, especially as they met totally apart from me. The world is indeed a small place.)

And yet, despite the trip being so great...I wasn't too broken up about leaving. It was hard to say goodbye to Kate, and I did love it there, but I felt really good about coming back to Madison. For one, I know I'll be back there...possibly for awhile, but certainly for a bit. And second...I liked what I was coming back to. Sure I have tons on my plate right now, and moving will be really trying, but I am pretty happy with my life here right now. Marshelle's almost done Latin, Andy will soon be done prelims, I still like my jobs, I can't wait to get out of this apt and into the new one...there's some good stuff here. Definitely enough to make me happy to come back. And given how I felt in June, that's worth a lot.

...oh LA. A toast - to back alley princes, hedges, the Goo Goo Dolls, libraries and Lost. And champagne and beauty and heels and great friends and old flames and pool and thrift stores and the ocean and youth and excitement and aggressive driving and ice blendeds and sketch comedy and sunglasses and palm trees and gay waiters at brunch and people doing what they love. And Kate. And me. And whatever comes next.

I have some really kick-ass people in my life.

No comments: