Wednesday, July 30, 2008

It's Hard to Swim in a City This Shallow

Well, I'm in LA.

And it's great. The whole trip so far has gone like clockwork, with nary a snag. My flights were bang on time, my luggage came up quickly, Jeff was waiting for me outside security, there was no traffic...it's been great.

I'm having a blast. I worked so much last week, and this summer in general, that I barely know what to do with myself here while Kate is at work. It's like, free time? While the sun is out? I'm not sure how that works anymore. But it's great. Last night she and I had cocktails with one of her friends, then wandered around chatting before going back to her house to relax with wine, TV and more chatting. Lots to catch up on, after all. It's so good to see her...I'm really happy we're having this chance to catch up, to just hang out like we used to. And her new place is really cute, near all sorts of cool stuff.

Today I woke up at 8, since I went to bed at 10:30, lounged around, then took a walk for about an hour until I got too hot and came back to Kate's. Turns out LA isn't as ugly as they say, or at least not the parts I've seen...it's kind of charming, actually. Anyhow, 45 minutes of Project Runway later, Jeff swung by and grabbed me for lunch with Kate, Matt, Kate's work friend and Matt's roommate. We went to a really cute little cafe, and although the wait was long, the food when it arrived was both plentiful and delicious. Yumminess.

Tonight Kate and I are going hiking and out for frozen yogurt, and tomorrow is Jeff's show. It's such a nice vacation. I like it here a lot...I'm not sure if I was just starved for a city or what, but it's a good place to be, it was a good choice. I don't miss Madison at all (not yet anyhow) and wish I could stay longer. But then, it's only my first full day.

How I love new places and old friends.

No comments: