Sunday, July 27, 2008

Working Girl

So my huge week of working is finally over. Whew. By last night I was completely burned out, clocking out at midnight when I clearly could have doubled my money by staying later. But I just didn't have it in me. I was exhausted. Not that I went home, of course; I might have if I could have played pool when I got off, but all the tables were full so I stayed until close and played with Rebecca for awhile. I played really well my first game, which made me feel all cool until I had another shot and immediately started being terrible again. Oh well.

It was a dramatic night at the restaurant, complete with belligerent drunks, asshole dudes and inter-staff quarrels. There were two bachelor parties, one coming from and one heading to Visions, the local (and shitty) strip club. There were drunk groomsmen from the wedding next door. There were some asshats from Lord knows where who refused to leave when we closed because it was 2:25 and not 2:30. There were numerous *really* over-the-top comments made to Rebecca and myself. In retrospect, maybe it's best I clocked out when I did. I'm not easily riled, but I was close to stabbing someone in the face by the time I left. And that's not even touching the dude who thought he was the shit because he's an unassigned agent for Homeland Security. Dude, don't wave your government job in my face. You have no idea how unimpressed I am.

On the plus side, all that simmering rage last night and the general running around this week have had their pros: I have officially lost all the weight I gained last fall. Who knows if it will last once the stress of reading (and decyphering) "The Ring and the Book" and others of its ilk kicks in, but despite having given up running a few weeks ago out of laziness and sleep-deprivation, I've kicked the last of the ten pounds that were graduate school's final insult-to-injury. Thank you, weight training and service jobs.

So over the past few days, people have been writing ideas for "politically-themed" cocktails on the dry erase board in the kitchen, and when I came in last night there were so many good ones I had to transcribe the list. Some of them are pretty good in my opinion. There's talk of doing a menu of them around election time, which I think would be a pretty good gimmick. Any other ideas to add? Here's the best of them:

-Monica Lewinsky-Coke
- Black and Ann Coulter
- Dick Champagney
- Osama Bin Lager
- Ross Merlot
- Jager-Obama
- Baracktail
- Newt Gin-grich
- Hilary Clin and Tonic
- Fuzzy Nader
- Pale Ale Gore
- Mitt Julep
- Rumney and Coke
- Arrogant Bushtard
- Huckabeefeater
- Al Frankenskaaner

and my personal favorite....

- Condoquila Sun Rice

I enjoy my job.

No comments: