Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Summer Skin

So aside from a few upsetting dreams and the appalling state of my apartment, life is pretty good. I'm making bank this week (rightfully so, since I'm working close to 70 hours), the weather is cooling off a bit, I bought a new bikini that I love, and I'm going to see Batman tonight.

And I am taking a vacation in 6 days.

I haven't had a real vacation since Thanksgiving, and I feel like I need this one almost as much if not more than I needed that one. I've been working very hard, but more than that, I'm just getting a little to close to life here, and I need a break. Sure, this isn't the wisest financial choice I've ever made. But I worked my ass off this summer, and so I'm pleased I could do this. And I mean, there are four letters that sum up the reason LA was the best choice, and they are KATE.

On the downside, Jamie and Tom have been entirely MIA for weeks now, which is kind of tough. It's sad that they feel farther away when they are geographically closer, but these are the perils of having cool friends who live overseas.

As I listen to Deathcab in my room, I'm really wishing I hadn't left my iPod at work for Joe. Grrrr. Oh well. Maybe I can steal the brother's, although his taste is not mine, to say the least.

This trip is well-timed. When I return, it will be time to get down to brass tacks concerning school. I'm hoping to finish at least one novel while I'm gone, and another before classes begin. I still need to tell Heather my new availability for work and hash all that out (not something I'm excited for), and plot out all the various dates for school. I need to move. I need to ask people at work if they can help me move my bed, since it won't fit in my car. I need to apply for a loan (sadly...too many G&Ts this summer). I need to talk to Con. I need to call Becca S. And Adam. And the other Adam.

But you know...so what? I can handle that stuff. After this trip summer begins to close, but I had a *wonderful* summer. There was no one thing that characterized it, but I've learned a lot about...lots of things, I started playing pool, I got some (if not all) of my shit together, I lived with Ben...good stuff.

Hopefully it's not an "other shoe" kind of situation.

No comments: