Saturday, October 17, 2009

Grading: Pt 2

15/35

Current thoughts: Still not hating it. I think only having two sections helps with that a lot - since the overall task is manageable, I don't dread it as much. Patterns are developing for sure; there are three main problems I keep seeing over and over again. I'm making notes for a handout that talks about the things (why or why did I not go over the MEAL plan before this?), and for another that gives examples of good theses, readings, etc from their peers' papers. I've just started assigning grades to them as I go, and need to go back and give grades to the others. So far there are probably two or three As, and only a handful of out-and-out Cs. One of which I feel no compunctions about giving, too, which is nice. The last paper I did was astonishingly good - also nice.

I'm beginning to flag though...not thrilled about the last three in this section, which I want to finish before dinner at 7:30. And then the other section. Though I am interested in comparing the two, I suppose.

On an unrelated note - still a bad idea to mix wine and liquor. Just in case anyone was wondering.

2 comments:

mimo-chan said...

i DID go over the "meal" plan with them, and gave them a handout for reference, and they still sucked, so i don't think you're any worse off than if you had gone over it.

-B- said...

Speaking of handouts (not that they seem to make much impression), after grading one section I made up a handout that addressed the most common problems from the papers and gave examples of good and bad ways to do things; it's making the second section go faster because I can just say "refer to this on the handout" instead of writing the same thing 18 times. I'd be happy to email it to you if you want to look at it.