Sunday, November 18, 2007

Merrye Olde Englande!

I'm here!

After a whirlwind 24 hours in Chicago with Maeve (who is amazing and the best hostess ever and I love her), I climbed onto my nonstop Virgin Atlantic flight and promptly fell asleep. When I woke up I was hovering over England. I got through customs in record time, caught the 9:50 bus and was in Oxford at a miraculous 11:15. Tom was the first person I saw; we were very affectionate, huggy and un-British in greeting each other. Jamie soon followed, and we met Jim and Ed for lunch at a twisty little Polish-run deli for lunch, right next to the (inexplicably open) covered market.

Everyone looks great. I have missed them so much. But again...with Jamie and Tom, whenever we finally get together, it's not overwhelming and exciting. It's just natural. It feels like an inevitability, like comfort. This is compounded by the fact that Oxford feels pretty natural to me at this point as well. Today, for example, after eating, we just sat around in Jamie's prsidential pad (verdict: pretty sweet but incredibly cold) and played a Magic-esque game called Munchkins, which is really fun. Now I'm huddled in a fleece watching Tom do his linguistics homework, staring out the window towards Broad Street. We're going to Formal Hall at Worcester tonight with Jim, then more Munchkins over wine.

I have missed my friends so much. Being here is great. It brings back so many good memories...of Oxford last year and of all the crazy shit I've gotten up to with these two.

Yay vacations!

1 comment:

Billie J. Pilgrim said...

Munchkins! I have definitely played that on vacation with my best friends. And a little [puff puff]. Heh.

I'm so jealous of: you leaving the coutry, you getting to see your favorite people, you abandoning your seminar papers, and your ability to sleep through a transatlantic flight. You are everything I wish I could be. Say hi to England for me. If you see a tall lanky American walking around Oxford, that's my friend Tom. He's awesome.