Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Adventures in Citation

So I probably should be posting about my first days of classes, etc, but what's really bothering me at the moment is my work study job.

I have five articles that I'm supposed to format, cleaning up the citations and making sure everything follows the guidelines for the discipline. No sweat, right?

Wrong. Totally wrong. Two of them were easy, but the rest...good Lord. There as citations with page numbers listed as "00-00," there are journals without issue or volume numbers, there's (and this is my favorite) an endnote that just says "(quoted variously, incl. Hinckley, Carpenter?)"

What am I supposed to do here? Is it MY job to track down the myriad little missing pieces of citation info for these entries? And this is not even touching on the one article that is 40 pages long, used MLA and needs to be Chicago, with a Works Cited page in a format that makes me shiver.

Anyone out there happen to be a Chicago expert?

1 comment:

-B- said...

I love that I once thought this constituted an unreasonable request.