Tuesday, September 11, 2007

You Never Know When It Starts Until There's Fog Inside the Glass Around Your Summer Heart

It's fall.

Not officially, of course, but...the season has turned. Night is crisp and the stars are brighter, and the air is full of nostalgia. Driving at night alone now takes on a new edge...or an old one, I suppose. It's me visiting Barger's apartment with Mike, it's driving along Wallace towards Adam's, it's turning the heat all the way up to defrost the crystal ice on Trixie's dashboard.

Why it's all high school memories is vague, but fall remains my favorite season, and one that makes me feel very connected to my life, if that makes sense. It also makes me want to wrap up in an old quilt in James Madison park and watch the stars come out until I'm so cold I can't stand it. I love the feeling of the cold air; after spending so much of the summer in NC, I realize I haven't been cold outdoors since I left France, and there it was always moist and cloying, never this crispness that feels like the air would snap if you ran through it too fast.

It's weather to dream to.

Today I wrote my presentation for 723, which was both easier and more enjoyable than I'd anticipated. In the end, I just let go all my anxieties about not using proper "grad student-y" buzzwords and just wrote like I always do, and I'm decently pleased with the results. Not going to make me famous for my sparkling wit and rhetoric, but I don't think I'll make a fool of myself either. And it's only in front of ten people, so who even cares?

I also picked Renee up on campus and drove her home, which meant I got to see her place (nice) and meet her cat (adorable). We chatted for awhile, and I continue to be excited about spending more time with her and thrilled with how lucky I've been in terms of friends. This really must be where I should be...it's too well suited to me to be a waste.

And finally, I ordered a new computer. Should be here in a week. Very, very exciting stuffs.

No comments: