Monday, September 3, 2007

New Blog for a New Chapter

So since I began my last online chronicle while in my first year of undergrad, I thought it'd be fitting to start a new one with the beginning of grad school. And here it is! Try to hold in your unbridled enthusiasm. I'm new to Blogger, but I'm already a fan...it seems smoother and less "omg wtf Emo!" than livejournal.

Today was the last day of calm before the storm that is classes. I woke up surprisingly collected and relaxed. Something inside me clicked walking home from Marshelle's last night, and I remembered. I remembered that I *can*. I can not fall victim to the things that bother me about myself and hold me back, both academically and personally. I can read an article and understand it (mostly), even if it takes me awhile. I can go to the gym and enjoy it for its own sake and not as a means to an end. I can do these things.

It's a very Zen kind of feeling. And now all I can think about is tracking down a copy of Zen Flesh, Zen Bones. (How do you do italics? The shortcut is just not having any of it.)

I had a near-religious experience at the gym today - I used an elliptical for the first time. Now I feel like a fool for letting so long go by without trying it. It's like running only ten times easier on joints and...everything, basically. I'm not sure I entirely believe what it says about calorie consumption, but I found it a welcome change...kept me very focused. Now if I can just overcome my fear of the very manly weight room...

Also, as mentioned above, I spent 3 hours in Company of Thieves (coffee shop around the corner) reading a theory article for 723. And while it was incredibly dense and packed with terms that sailed past me, I enjoyed it. I took copious notes (beautiful ones, Tom) and actually feel like I made real progress in understanding the subject. Does this mean I will be a star in class on Thursday. Hell no. But I'm confident I'll be able to follow the discussion and perhaps interject a few thoughts that won't lead my classmates to wish I was pumping gas rather that reading de Man.

11:45...time to reread my notes and go to sleep. Tomorrow I have a meeting with Professor Begam about my work-study position, then some reading time, and then...first class. Restoration and 18th Century. Should be hot.

Here we go.

No comments: