Monday, October 8, 2007

Anyone Got a Copy of "Hero and the Crown"?

I'm trying to remember that last line...also, I just really want to read the book again. And I'm now reading wiki pieces on Beverly Cleary books, none of which I have thought about in years aside from a vague "oh, Sarah Polley played Ramona once" when I saw Away From Her. And now I am fascinated, wondering about these books from the 50s would play to a modern audience.

Can't I just read a lot of children's books for 6 years and then be handed a PhD?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, isn't that what all PhD students do?

mimo-chan said...

ha! i wish.

Bix said...

I... do not. Have a copy, that is. I think that children's books from the 50s won't work because they just represent a time that kids absolutely cannot identify with. Take, for example, British adventure series books -- I was obsessed with them when I was a kid, because I could also run off into the countryside and play around and have adventures. But how many kids can do that today? The same is true for the values that people in, say, Judy Blume novels exhibit. Just a thought...

Billie J. Pilgrim said...

I feel dumb, but why does your degree go to 11? You're not graduating in four years, are you?