Thursday, October 4, 2007

Wouldn't It Be Great...

...if the books I wanted for my 723 paper weren't all checked out?

I've been fiddling with the library webpage for awhile now, and I almost miss the (dare I say) convenience of having one central library at AU, out of which no one ever took any of the books I wanted. Sure it was hideous, poorly stocked and creepy, but hey. The books were there.

I'm just going to go gather up the few I was able to find that are in, and then call it a day. I had two insignificant insights into the structure of the paper, found a few books to start with and (kind of) figured out how the system works. Time to move on to the next annoying task: reading for Comp so I can post my response for the week.

This week went by incredibly fast. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

2 comments:

mimo-chan said...

i'm with you both on feeling like the week went by fast as well as not being sure whether it's actually a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Becca

You have 2 options for books you want that aren't there. I'm sure you've been getting these precalls that go out to the list like the one Kevin just sent out. Sometimes that works.

Better than that is to order it from another library in Wisconsin. At the top of the page, click "UW System," do a search for your book, click on the one you want, click "place requests" at the bottom, fill it out, have it sent to college library b/c it's closest, and you're in business. Could only take a couple days. It's more complicated than I remembered, but it almost always works.

You're glad we have a huge gross library system. Trust me.