Wednesday, October 10, 2007

That Solo's Awful Long, But It's a Pretty Song

Today,

A) It was cold. While I'm glad to see the season make the full committment to turning, I'll be pretty pissed if we lost all our gorgeous 60-70 degree fall days to a week or so of freakishly warm 80 degree days. We'll see. Right now I'm suffering all my "fuck it's cold now" symptoms - cold feet that keep me from concentrating, hands that get icy as I type, the desire to eat heaps of pasta (resisting so far). And DON'T tell me how much worse it will get. I know this. Hell, I'm not even complaining right now. Just commenting on the fact that two days ago I was tanning in James Madison and now I am thinking I need to move my ass to the Winter Coat Store. (That exists, right?)

B) I did loads of reading. I think I read for longer today without significant break than I have in grad school to date. I accomplished a lot, and I feel pretty good. I even want to stay in and keep reading, and will probably read over another piece before going out. Will this last? Almost surely not. But...

C) I felt myself grow up a little bit. This sensation always freaks me out a little bit when it's very concious. I was walking towards the bus thinking about concepts of national identity in the 18th century, and it was like a bead on an abacus had been shifted from one side to another, and suddenly the sum was different, and I was different. I always think I'll get used to the feeling, but it's always a different bead, so it's always different. Maybe it'll go back to being an unconcious process one of these days.

No comments: