Monday, April 14, 2008

Of Jobs and Weekends

My weekend in DC was really great. We have our problems just like anyone, but Con's amazing, and he showed it. Romantic getaway in Old Town, nice dinner, adorable gift, hardcore study sessions...these are the things grad school romance is made of.

Also, today I secured summer employment! It's part time and I'll be looking for something else restaurant-y, but I am *so* excited about this job. It's watching two little girls, 3 and 7, who are both gorgeous and seem really fun, with distinct personalities, outgoing, interesting...it's going to be really nice for me. I miss being around kids so much that I've begun just staring hungrily at the cute ones I see in the street, which makes their parents uncomfortable, I'm sure. I just...love kids. I love them. Sometimes it makes me feel like a reject from the 50s, all housewife-y and such, but mostly it just makes me happy. I love kids and kids love everything, and it's a window into that kind of joy, when life was only possibilities and porcelain tea sets and glittery rock collections and bubbles, to name a few things these two girls reminded me I used to love. So it will be nice to spend a few days a week with these unbelievably cute kids (in their incredibly classy and well-appointed house, driving their parents' fairly nice car, lounging by the pool using the pool pass they bought me so I can watch the girls at their lessons, making 12 bucks an hour) reminding myself that life is still something that can inspire wonder and simple delight, and that someday I will have a family of my own.

And I still hate Shakespeare.


No comments: